One of the questions that I am asked most is “how do I get a paid summer internship?”
Most undergraduates understand the benefit of these programs yet do not know how/where to start. So I am going to post a few leads here for people that are interested.
1) Many schools including Johns Hopkins, Harvard, MIT, Baylor College of Medicine, Notre Dame, and other research universities have summer research experiences.
2) Typical deadlines for summer research programs are in December but some take applications till February.
3) I recommend that the students should visit the websites of local universities as many have programs. Also if they know which part of the country/world where they want to spend the summer a quick google search for “summer research” and the school name and will get a list of programs that the school offers.
4) The programs are competitive so I suggest that students apply to several so as to increase their chances. Students should try to go somewhere where they will get a good mentor who can help them with references in addition to providing the training to become a better researcher and scientist.
5) Here are other programs that pay for summer research for undergraduates. Some are less competitive than others and this list is far from exhaustive
The true enemy of global justice is apathy. Instead of worrying if other people are protesting enough or appropriately, each of us needs to continue to do our part to make our own little corner of the world just a little bit better. Like Wangari Maathai we should all be the hummingbird!
The first step to eliminating privilege is treating everyone fairly. If white Christians are not responsible for Tim McVeigh, Jim Jones, David Koresh etc, why should muslims or black people be held accountable for the actions of strangers they do not know? Heck in America the parents of white serial killers are rarely held accountable for their actions. So next time you try to selectively blame certain groups, remember that makes you part of the problem. When you talk about black on black crime but not white on white crime, you are part of the negative forces destroying our world. When you “otherize” groups and “normalize” yourself, you are part of the problem. When you make excuses for extrajudicial murder that you would not make if the victim looked like you, you are not just part of the problem, you are the problem!
When my daughter started kindergarten, she refused to do her assignments and tests. She said the work was too easy and she had done the work in her Montessori preschool. She asked me why she was expected to do “baby work”? She complained about being bored in class. She could not understand why she was expected to be working on three letter words and vowel sounds when she could read? This is a child who chose to make a model “icosahedron” as a two year old since she needed a shape that started with “I”. So I felt for her and so I listened to her complaining about everything, from the math classes to spelling tests… When she was done speaking, I told her that I understood that she was frustrated. My next words to her shocked me, I asked her “how do your new teachers know how much you know if you refuse to show them on the tests and assignments?” I agreed with her that she was smart and hardworking and she needed to always let her work show what she knows. We had this conversation almost 8 years ago and I think this was the best 30 minutes I ever invested in her academic career. She bought into the idea that people need evidence to believe you. Yes the work is still too easy for her (ok I still need to refresh her memory regularly and she has her limits), but that is another story, however no one can out work her even on “baby work”.